Tuesday, November 15, 2016

A Near Miss. . .

As in, I almost decided not to post tonight. I'm tired, y'all. 

Image result for i'm tired animated gif

See, I'm a night owl. Always have been, always will be. And it doesn't matter how little sleep I got the night before (you know, because I read fanfiction all the time and I have to read just one more chapter. . . multiple times. . . until three in the morning), if I haven't fallen asleep by say, ten p.m., I will get a second wind and be WIDE AWAKE!Image result for red bull and coffee animated gif

So, I thought about not posting tonight in order to get some actual sleep. But, I couldn't do that to anyone who might be waiting for me to post this week's blog.

Disclaimer: I really don't know if more than three people, including myself, actually reads this, but if they do, I want it to be there for them.

Anyhoo, you may have noticed that I like to have a theme to my blogs.

Image result for REALLY??? animated gif


Yeah, I really do. So, for this week, I'm focusing on stories that feature a character or characters of the Twilight saga reading the books which bring about subtle (or not so subtle) changes to the events which happen in the books.



Without further ado. . . 
Just a word of warning for all you wonderfully persnickety people (like me) out there: none of these stories is grammatically perfect, and a couple of them really have a lot of issues. . . that being said, give them a chance, they are all stories which are worthy of reading, but if you focus too much on the negative aspects, you may miss something you consider a gem if you had just stuck it out.

The first fic which featured a character or characters reading the Twilight books I ever read was called Happily Ever After Is Worth Fighting For, written by Humble4.

Summary: Bella receives a gift of the Twilight Series from her ancestor who mysteriously disappeared over 300 years ago. Her choices are to move to Forks or run in the opposite direction. What is a girl to do?

Bella Swan comes home from school one day to find a package of books, along with a letter, waiting for her on her front porch. She opens the package to find four books along with a letter. She's never heard of the books so she decides to read the letter. In the letter, she discovers that the books tell of events that will happen to her over the next couple of years if she chooses to go through with her idea of moving to Forks. The letter further advises her that she has several options available to her: she can decide against moving to Forks, she can move to Forks and let events unfold as they would in the books, or she can use the books to her advantage and avoid the pain caused to her by the supernatural forces in the books.

She decides to learn from the mistakes in the books, and one of the first things she decides to rectify is her relationship with her dad, Charlie. She decides that her treatment of him in the books was shabby, so as soon as she gets off the plane, she acts happy to see him and excited to be there.

The second decision she makes is to not be the pushover she was in the books. She starts off with telling Rosalie off for being such a heinous bitch from the moment she woke up as a vampire, Emmett for torturing Edward with the sexual images, and Edward (in as nice a way as possible) for his unilateral decisions.

She also has the brilliant idea to have Jasper project her feelings for Edward and his feelings for her to the rest of the family, and the even more brilliant idea to project her pain at the thought of Edward leaving her to the whole family. She lets them know that events happen in the second book that lead to him convincing the family to leave Bella behind and leave Forks. They vow to never leave or let him leave without her.

I really like this story. It's a bit fluffy with no real angst, but it's a great palate cleanser for when you've just read something incredibly painful. I've read this one two or three times now, and I don't get sick of it. I think that if you give it a chance, you will really enjoy reading it.

There is no banner for this story, so here's a nice picture of Edward and Bella in the meadow for you. :-)

Image result for happily ever after is worth fighting for twilight fanfiction banner picture

Happily Ever After Is Worth Fighting For can be found here:    
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7018302/1/Happily-Ever-After-is-Worth-Fighting-For



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For the second fic this week, I would like to recommend another story I've read in the past but liked enough to read multiple times, called, Hoping For A Different Tomorrow by alternatetwilight.

Summary: Bella receives the Twilight books two weeks before she moves to Forks with a message not to share the books with anyone until a certain decision is made. While she's waiting for word that she can share the books, she writes letters to the Cullen's.


I have to say, I really enjoyed this story. The major events in the Twilight books happen in this fic, but they happen on an accelerated timeline (within a year instead of two), and the events a changed a bit. For instance, instead of Bella cutting her finger at her birthday party, Bella is at the Cullens a couple of weeks before her birthday and Emmett startles her so she breaks the glass in her hand and cuts herself. Edward starts to attack her and Jasper tries to fight him off but then Edward's thirst is projected to Jasper and then they are fighting each other to attack her. Once that gets all calmed down, Edward decides to leave but Bella talks him out of it. In doing so she manipulates Edward into staying and he starts to question her motives and she gets so upset by it that she falls into a month-long coma and dreams that she and Edward went on with their lives together, but he was pulling away from her like she read in New Moon, causing her as much pain as it did Bella in the book. Edward, in turn, can't feel her presence while she is in the coma and he feels just as much pain as book Edward did.

That was just one example of how events are twisted in this new imagining of the Twilight saga. Action and angst, love and happiness, pain and sorrow all have a place in this fic. If you read it, I know that you will find it just as wonderful as I did.

Unfortunately, there is no banner photo for this story, either, so here's another sweet Edward and Bella picture:
Image result for edward and bella

Hoping For A Different Tomorrow can be found here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11169847/1/Hoping-for-a-Different-Tomorrow-Repost



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The last story I'm going to mention here for this week is called Will Things Change? by 2brown-eyes.

Summary: 
After Edward leaves in New Moon he & his family receive four books. One book of the past and three books of the future. Will reading the books send Edward racing back to his soul mate sooner or will he continue think that it right to stay away? Text of the books is not copied in the chapters!

This story begins three months after Edward left in New Moon, and opens with Jasper and Emmett sent by Alice to fetch him from that attic in Brazil. She received a set of books from S.M. letting Alice know that her visions come to her in her writing and that the information in the books is vital to all of them. Bella also receives copies of the books, but instead of Twilight, she receives Midnight Sun.

This story is different in the sense that all of the main characters get the books (Jacob even gets a hold of Bella's copy and the wolves read everything but Breaking Dawn). The characters read the first book and about half of the second book and the Cullen family decide to go back to Forks right before Christmas, which is around two months earlier than they did in the original timeline, and in Bella finding out where the Cullens went after they left and being determined to find them.

They all arrive at the same place fairly close to the same time, just in time to stop Victoria and Riley from killing Bella, which negates what happens with the newborn army in Eclipse. That's a good thing, and since they are back early, Bella never gets a chance to bond with Jacob, so they are able to avoid the love triangle. The wolves/Quileutes give them some trouble, but it's easily handled.

All in all, I really enjoyed this story and I know I will read it again someday.

I really enjoy this author's work, and if you look at this story (her first fanfic) and compare it to her most recently completed stories, you will be able to see her wonderful evolution and improvement as a writer.




Will Things Change? can be found here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6646963/1/Will-Things-Change



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you give these stories a chance, and if you do, I really hope you enjoy them. If these stories aren't for you, try something else by the authors, they did some great work with these stories and other works by them might be more your cup of tea.

Okay, since I managed to complete my blog before midnight, and I actually still feel tired, I'm gonna go try to get some sleep. It probably won't work, however, I already feel that second wind coming on and I'm gonna feel like a jackrabbit on meth in about fifteen minutes.


Wish me luck!!!
good luck star wars waving salute






6 comments:

  1. I wish I had the time to read each of the stories you recommend. I usually pick one, and even that falls a bit short of being finished in a week. You know good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, BeLynda! I was looking for something sweet as I read Cracks in the Pavement this week. omg...so much angst! I will def read your first recommendation. (fellow night owl here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I could help. Yeah, I'm an angst wimp so I'm staying away from that story. It's on my NOT to be read list. LOL. Us night owls have to stick together. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, I have put them all on my TBR List.
    Your blog is lovely and so funny!
    I wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. I'm so happy you like what I do here. Each week I try to focus on a different theme. I think this coming Tuesday I am going to either have it be MobWard or VampWard. Unless someone in my Facebook group thinks of something I didn't think of. I haven't focused solely on either of those genres yet. I try to plan it out, but I honestly never know until the day I post here, what I will pick. :-) I hope you keep coming back.

      Delete